Draws a histogram of a variable. It may be abbreviated hist.
. histogram hhsize
(bin=30, start=0, width=1.1666667)
- Stata will pick for you the number of bins and the width of each
one. It usually does a pretty good job. If you want to specify them
- the option , discrete will tell Stata to use one bin
for each value of the variable.
- , bin(6) tells Stata to use 6 bins.
- , width(5) tells Stata to make every bin width 5 (so
5 people when graphing hhsize).
- The option , frequency makes Stata put the frequency
(rather than the density) on the vertical axis.
- The option , normal overlays a standard normal distribution.
- Graphing options for axis titles and
axis labels are usually the most relevent.
The by option is always handy.